Monday, August 27, 2007

Questions to be answered


I've been asking myself why I read the things I read but so far I haven't answered myself satisfactorily.

Case in point: CONSIDERING DORIS DAY by Tom Santopietro. I finished it a week ago and I'm still asking myself why I not only read it, but bought it in the first place. Not that there was anything at all wrong with Mr. Santopietro's writing. Far from it. He did a great job of painstakingly analyzing Doris Day's career from childhood through retirement. He broke down each of her movies, critiqued the components, reached cogent conclusions. He dissected her singing career with surgical precision. He even detailed her complicated private life with compassion and honesty.

But here's the thing: I'm not a Doris Day fan. Sure I like some of her movies. TEACHER'S PET and PILLOW TALK in particular. I recognize the fact that she had one of the best voices of the incredible group of World War II Big Band singers. But, like I said, I'm not a fan. I can pretty much take or leave Doris Day.


You'd think that would keep a sane person from reading a 400 page treatise on Doris Day, wouldn't you?


I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Brandy said...

I think you just have a natural curiosity for things. We all do certain things without knowing the reason why.

August 28, 2007 at 5:02 PM  
Anonymous KaliAmanda said...

Life is a conundrum and kd lang said every once in a while you need a little Doris Day in your life. You just fit in all your little moments intoa 400-page book... Que sera, sera, right?

August 28, 2007 at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | Letter From Barbara | Sneak Peek | What's Cooking | Love Letters
Blog | Scrapbook | Free Stuff | Contest
Bio | Book List | The Secret | Just For Fun | Free Reads
Newsletter | Writers Daily Quote | He Said She Said | Sitemap
Hosted by