Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bad Movie/Good Movie


File this under There Really Is No Justice.

Friday night we Netflixed FOOL'S GOLD. Let's just say the title should also serve as a warning. It starred Matthew McConnaughey and Kate Hudson and Donald Sutherland and a number of other people who really should be deeply ashamed of themselves for participating in this piece of merde. I mean, I was sitting at one end of the sofa knitting. Roy was sitting at the other end using his laptop. Somewhere at the mid-point of the story (oh, maybe five or six hours in) we looked up at the screen and simultaneously said, "That's still on!?" Yeah, it only seemed like an eternity.

What a disappointment. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare in the Park but I was expecting some laughter and sexual chemistry between Hudson and McConnaughey. Zip. Zero. Nada. Maybe next time they should consider hiring a screenwriter.




Ah, but last night! Last night we watched CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR and loved it. Totally loved it. Neither one of us had expected anything more than passing interest (we're not crazy about either Hanks or Roberts but we both think Phillip Seymour Hoffman is fan-freaking-tastic) so imagine our surprise when in less than five minutes we were hooked. Completely hooked. Fascinated, amused, entertained, titillated, intrigued, challenged, you name it. (BTW, Amy Adams is going to have a big future.)

When they ran the credits, I found out why: Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin.

Talent will out every time.
Even if FOOL'S GOLD had better box office.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Brandy said...

I haven't seen either one. No interest in Fools Gold. We did just recently watch 27 Dresses. We (hubs and I) really enjoyed it.

July 6, 2008 at 7:55 PM  
Anonymous Barbara Bretton said...

I was surprised to like KNOCKED UP. Not all of it but some parts made me get a little weepy. (Probably not what the director was going for but what can I say?) I love the idea of 27 DRESSES. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Brandy. (And don't you think Katherine Heigl has a face that's made for movies?)

July 6, 2008 at 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Brandy said...

Katherine Heigl has a very classic face, almost like Grace Kelly.

July 7, 2008 at 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anne McAllister said...

27 Dresses was unexpectedly charming. James Marsden is better at comedy than being an X-Man. No desire to see Fool's Gold. But you've convinced me to add Charlie Wilson's War. I have watched Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night videos so often I have them memorized.

Coming to SF, Barbara? Hope so.

July 22, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | Letter From Barbara | Sneak Peek | What's Cooking | Love Letters
Blog | Scrapbook | Free Stuff | Contest
Bio | Book List | The Secret | Just For Fun | Free Reads
Newsletter | Writers Daily Quote | He Said She Said | Sitemap
Hosted by