Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Big Fat Sigh of Relief



Miracles happen. I finished the Wedding in Paris novella and shipped it out today.

How one writer can spend four days trying to write one paragraph defies explanation but that's what happened. Okay, it was the last paragraph which makes it kind of important but 4 days?? That seems a bit excessive.

I just couldn't come up with the right words to convey what Ryan and Katie were feeling. I wrote it, rewrote it, re-rewrote it, threw it out, pulled it back out of the recycle bin, tried it funny, tried it serious, tried it with their daughters there, tried it without, during the wedding reception, before the ceremony, out on the dance floor, everywhere but Disneyland.

Finally (and I swear this is true) just seconds before my brain imploded it all came together and I was able to send them all on their way toward happily ever after.

I could've flown to Paris and back twice in the time it took me to wind things up.

But it's done. I'm happy with it. (I think. It's hard to tell right now when I'm so close to it.) And now it's on to the next project. I haven't decided if the main character will be a fancy cake maker or a bookbinder but some research over the weekend will help reveal all.

This is the fun part. When it's all a little fuzzy, a little blurry. The characters have popped up and introduced themselves but they're still guarding their secrets and I get to play Nancy Drew and worm those secrets out of 'em.

Barbara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | Letter From Barbara | Sneak Peek | What's Cooking | Love Letters
Blog | Scrapbook | Free Stuff | Contest
Bio | Book List | The Secret | Just For Fun | Free Reads
Newsletter | Writers Daily Quote | He Said She Said | Sitemap
Hosted by